Chinese YUAN overtakes EURO, becomes 2nd most popular TRADE FINANCE CURRENCY
Subscribe here for more Prime Interest, Max Keiser & Financial news:
The yuan has replaced the euro to become the second most widely used currency in global trade in 2013, according to the SWIFT network responsible for international financial transactions.
The share of the yuan in global trade finance has jumped from 1.89 percent in January 2012 to 8.66 percent in the form of letters of credit and collections in October 2013, the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication (SWIFT) data shows.
The share of trade settlements in the euro fell from 7.87 percent to 6.64 percent in the same period. The US dollar still leads with 81.08 percent of foreign trade payments using the American currency in October.
The most active yuan users are Chinese and Hong Kong companies which account for about 80 percent of the total foreign trade operations in the yuan. The remaining 20 percent is spread among Singapore (12%), Germany (2%), Australia (2%) and other countries (4%).
"The renminbi is clearly a top currency for trade finance globally and even more so in Asia," Franck de Praetere, SWIFT's Singapore-based head of payments and trade markets for Asia Pacific, commented in a statement.
"I think it is more to do with using China as a carry trade -- people want to get their money into China," says Nick Verdi, Asia FX strategist at Barclays. "With global interest rates so low, China really is the only place where you can get such a large carry. Trade finance is one of the key avenues to take advantage of that."
According to SWIFT, in October the yuan remained the world's 12th most popular means of payment, its share decreased to 0.84 per cent from 0.86 per cent in September. Even though value of payments grew by 1.5% for the month, payments in all currencies rose by 4.6%
Hong Kong, the largest yuan hub outside China, has accumulated a record 782 billion yuan ($128 billion) in October. The same month the UK's Chancellor George Osborne announced plans to make London an offshore banking center for the yuan.
commodity, price, inflation, forex, currency, trading, currency trading, euro, converter, exchange, euros, money, currency rate, currency converters, money, rate, credit, credit consolidation, capital, card credit, creditcard, debit, how do i get a credit report, credit history, report, debit card, credit rating, investment, investment, free credit report, credit line, mortgage, financial, news, cibc. mortgage rates, obama, mortgage relief, mortgage protection, stock exchange, what is apr, online gold trading, forex, gold, gold trade, trade gold, gold mine, price of silver, gold future, gold funds, keiser, max kaiser, forex investment, investment, forex online, investment account, bank, how to, investment funds, bonds, savings, investments, invest, mutual fund, commodities, hedge fund, investment banking, property investment, investment banks. finance yahoo, how to finance your money, finance 101, finance 101 wharton, finance 101 lecture, finance 1, personal finance 101, finance 240 sdsu, finance 201, finance 2014, finance 2, bitcoin finance 2014, finance 301, finance 5 program, finance 5, american economy animation, american economy collapse, american economy collapse 2014, when will american economy collapse, american economy documentary, american economy explained, american economy history, american economy may 2014, american economy shrinks, american economy today, how the american economy works, american economy 1950s, american economy 2014, global economy animation, global economic collapse, global economy documentary, global economy explained, global economy journal, global economy kagundu, global economy mean, global economy news, global economy outlook, global economy pdf, global economy ryan harvey, global economy reset, how does the global economy work, global economy zimmer, global economy 2014,