If you’re interested in finding out more on this topic, you can read our free guide on how to do digital marketing in China here: http://bit.ly/2Fnn0n5
(This video was first published in August 2015.)
As the biggest internet market in the world, and soon to be the biggest e-commerce market, China is top of the international expansion list for many businesses. Yet while the opportunity is great, so are the challenges of building an effective and profitable online presence. Christina Xu from Webcertain gives her advice to businesses considering targeting the Chinese market.
(00:40) What makes the Chinese internet market different from other countries?
- The websites that Chinese people use are very different from the rest of the world in almost every sector. They use different search engines and different e-commerce sites.
(01:45) How big is the opportunity in China for international businesses? Is there strong demand for any particular services or products?
- China has a population of over 1.3 billion people, of which around 649 million are online. That’s a huge market!
- The biggest opportunities for international businesses are in the foreign exchange market and travel sector.
(02:41) Many people have heard of Baidu, as it is the leading search engine in China. Are there any other search engines worth mentioning when it comes to China?
- Yes, Qihoo’s 360 Search and Sogou are also important search engines in China.
(04:14) Can the same principles as other search engines like Google be applied when conducting SEO or PPC campaigns in the Chinese search engines?
- Yes, digital marketing in China follows the same sort of model as the rest of the world, with some modifications.
- For SEO, like on Google, you need to optimise your webpages using keywords, meta tags and backlinks. However, the lead times are different. It takes longer to see results when doing SEO in China.
- It is very difficult to rank highly on Baidu if your website does not have high levels of traffic. Therefore, it is recommended to do PPC first, to boost your levels of traffic. Then, once you’ve done that, start on SEO.
- For PPC, like on Google, you need to pay attention to the relevancy and quality of your keywords, ads and landing pages. There are some small differences, for example, there are 3 different types of phrase match on Baidu.
(06:56) How important is mobile search in China?
- Mobile search is very important in China. Out of the 649 million Chinese people online, 559 million are on mobile – that’s around 83%! Out of those mobile internet users, 69% buy online using their mobile phone.
(07:44) What are the most important things for international businesses to be aware of when trying to target China through search?
- First of all, it is important to think about whether you have a customer base in China. Is there any demand for your product/service in China?
- Next, decide where exactly you want to target. China is a huge country. If you try to target the entire country, you are going to have to spend a lot of money. It is often more sensible to start off targeting just a few cities or provinces.
- Decide which tracking platforms you want to use.
- Check to see if your website is mobile-compatible.