There are four types of sentence structures with a view to analysis:
1) Simple Sentence
2) Compound Sentence
3) Complex Sentence
4) Compound complex Sentence
A sentence can consist of a single clause or several clause.A sentence must contain at least one independent clause.
1) Simple Sentence: A simple sentence is one one which has only one subject and one predicate or we can say it has only one principal clause. As-
a) An honest man is loved by all.
b) The children are happy.
2) Compound Sentence:A compound sentence is made up of two or more principal clauses(independent clause).Two or more than two principal clauses are joined by co-coordinating conjunctions in the sentence;as-
a) The children are happy but they want to eat ice-cream.
b) The moon rose and everything looked bright.
Out of the examples given above, in example no.(1)-’the children are happy’ and ‘they want to eat ice-cream’ are principal clauses.Both are joined by coordinating conjunction-’but’.Each principal clause has a subject and a predicate.Therefore, this is a compound sentence.
How to identify Compound Sentences
If two or more than two clauses are joined by coordinating conjunctions such as- and, as well as, but, for, nevertheless, so, still, yet, whereas, either…or, neither……..nor, not only…….but also, while, both…...and etc in a sentence, that sentence is compound sentence.
3) Complex Sentence: A complex sentence consist of one principal clause and one or more than one subordinate clauses(dependent clause).One principal clause and one or more than one subordinating clauses are joined together by subordinating conjunctions in the sentence; as-
a)I have two nephews who are engineers.
b) As we tried to enter the Inn, the Innkeeper said that there was no room.
Out of the examples given above,in example no.(1)’I have two nephews’ is principal clause and ‘ who are engineers’ is subordinate clause which are joined by subordinating conjunction ‘who’.
In example no.(2)’As we tried to enter the Inn’ is a subordinate clause because its meaning itself is not clear and ‘ that there was no room’ is also subordinate clause.Both subordinate clauses are dependent on the principal clause-’The Innkeeper said’ for their meaning.
One principal clause and two subordinate clauses are joined by subordinating conjunction ‘as’ and ‘that’.
How to identify Complex Sentence
If two or more than two clauses are joined by subordinating conjunctions such as- as, as if, as though, as that, as long as, as much as, as soon as, as than, although, though, as far as, before , because, if, whether, who ,whom ,whose, which, what, when, how, where, till, until, unless. Etc, that sentence is complex sentence.
4) Compound Complex Sentence(Mixed sentence):This type of sentence is consist of at least two principal clauses and one subordinate clause. As-
a) He went to market and brought a costly wrist watch that was stolen a few weeks later.
In the above example ‘he went to market’ and ‘(he)brought a costly wrist watch’ are principal clauses. Both are joined by coordinating conjunction-’and’ and ‘that was stolen a few weeks later’ is a subordinating clause.
Find out the sentence type on the basis of its structure-
1) The teacher is teaching while the students are playing.
2) Home Minister is coming to visit today.
3) Rohan cried when his bit him,but he soon got better.
4) Meena was resting when the Mohan came.
Once you learn it you can use it for your life time.
Enjoy the lessons.
If you find this video helpful for learning Analysis of sentence then please share it with friends.
If you have any type of difficulties, Your quires are most welcomed. We will be happy to help you.
You can put queries in comment section or message on Facebook.
Check Our other Lessons and Post in below Platforms :-
Website :- http://www.hellocuriousbrain.com/
Facebook :- https://www.facebook.com/hellocurious...
Twitter :- https://twitter.com/hicuriousbrain
Youtube Channel :- https://www.youtube.com/c/hellocuriou...
Instagram :- https://www.instagram.com/hellocuriou...
Google + :- https://plus.google.com/u/0/communiti...
Pinterest :- https://in.pinterest.com/hicuriousbrain/
Whatsapp :- 7095836066
Thank You ..